Tales from a Christ-follower, wife, mommy, daughter, friend, runner, cook, reader, maid, volunteer, and seeker of the lost art of sleep.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Anybody home?

One night back in the fall, I was tucking Jack into bed when he pointed to his bulletin board to one of his masterpieces from school that day and he informed me that he wanted to take it to Sophie the next day at school. It was the first time I had heard him mention her name, but I thought it was so sweet that he wanted to share his artwork with a friend at school, so I willingly said, "Sure! I think that's a very nice gift idea! How thoughtful. What a sweet boy."

However, as I processed it that night, I realized that if I was Sophie's mom, I might be a bit freaked out by this...but I didn't want to discourage Jack in his giving, either. I also knew there was a 50/50 chance that Jack would forget about it by morning.

No luck. Not only did he remember and carry it with both hands during the car ride and into the school, but he also "called" Sophie on his way to school to tell her about it.

In attempts to NOT freak out Sophie's momma, I was trying to quietly tell Jack's teachers about his desire to give the picture to Sophie; however, I told them about my fear and asked if they would just slip it back in his backpack when he wasn't looking and I would get it later. Mid-explanation, in walked Sophie...and her mom. The teachers thought it was just the sweetest thing and immediately began telling Sophie's mom (whose name I probably should learn...) about Jack's gift. Thankfully, she was very graceful, Sophie was excited and Jack was proud. Whew. Glad that was over...

...Until that night, when Jack began to pick out another picture that he wanted to give to Sophie. AHH! I suggested that he pick another friend to share his artwork with, but he was adamant that Sophie be the recipient. Thankfully, it was a Thursday and he forgot by the next school day (Monday).

However, Sophie has been the receiver of MANY "phone calls" since then. Usually Jack just explains his day (at bedtime), talks about seeing her at school (when we're on our way there), or about what he's eating for dinner (at the dinner table). While we as a family are totally NOT into the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing, especially with preschoolers, I love that he's learning to socialize and how to be a sweet friend and we are DEFINITELY encouraging that. :)

Since then, he has started "calling" another school friend, Andrew, who moved away right before Christmas, and his old buddy Jordan. The funniest thing is that when he's walking around our house talking, he is usually sitting and/or standing in the same places I go to talk on the phone...using my mannerisms and phrases. He'll say, "Is that better? Can you hear me now? Hello?" Kinda scary. :)

This is a picture of Jack "calling" Sophie on the way into school one morning. His phone is sometimes an old kitchen timer, sometimes my old iphone, and when modern technology isn't readily available, he pulls out his old reliable pointer finger and fist. Gotta do whatcha gotta do.

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet that he wants to tell his friend's about his day. I saw one of your Tweets retreated by Nicole Roberts. Do you go to Church of the Highlands? I live in Alex City and we have been going to HighlandsAU since the end of October. I blog also. Would love to meet you. I'm @amykiane on twitter.

    ReplyDelete